What is a criminal record certificate?
A criminal record certificate is an official document, which shows whether you have been convicted of a crime and if you are – what are the kind of crimes you have committed.
If you never committed a crime in your life, in your certificate it will be noted that you have a clean criminal record.
When do you need a criminal record certificate?
Most often, a criminal record is required when:
• You are applying for Bulgarian citizenship.
• You are applying for a specific job. Your future employer will request it from you.
• You want to register for а profession, such as lawyer, doctor, architect etc.
How can you get a criminal record certificate?
If you are born in Bulgaria, the certificate will be issued by the Criminal Records Bureau at the respective district court in accordance with the address you are registered on.
If you have a refugee or a humanitarian status or you were born outside of Bulgaria, you can request your certificate at the Central Criminal Record Bureau (Централно бюро „Съдимост“) at the Ministry of Justice. It is located on 5 Aksakov Str. in Sofia. It is open every working day (Monday to Friday) from 9:00 to11:00 and from 14:00 to 16:00.
To issue the certificate you will need to present the following documents:
- Application form (to be filled on the spot). In it you also have to write down the purpose for which you need the certificate;
- ID card.
You have to show your original ID at the desk. They will take only a copy of it.
- Birth certificate (if it is not in Bulgarian, you have to translate it).
- In case you do not have a birth certificate, the State Agency for Refugees (SAR) can issue a substitute document. To get this document, you need to submit a written request to SAR.
- Declaration for the identity of a person with different names in case you have made changes in your name.
- А document that proves you paid the 5 leva fee.
- Options for payment:
- At the desk with a debit card.
- Via bank transfer. In this case, the document for the fee must contain the purpose of the payment (criminal record certificate) and your name. After you pay at the bank you will receive two copies of this document – one for you and the other one you need to attach to your application.
You may submit your application personally. If that is not possible, you can authorize someone else with e notarized written authorization or a lawyer with a power of attorney to do it for you.
Your criminal record certificate will be most likely issued immediately or within 3 working days.
The certificate will contain the following information:
- Your name.
- Your personal identification number (EGN/ЕГН or personal foreigner number LNCH/ЛНЧ).
- Your birth date (date/month/year) and your place of birth.
- Current address (the one indicated on your identification document).
- The name of your mother and father.
- Whether you are convicted of a crime or not.
- The purpose for which the certificate is issued. When the purposes is employment, the position for which you are applying will be noted on the certificate.
- The validity of the certificate.
Your criminal record certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of its issuance.